Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Artistic Social
In Use As
1730 - 1735
Freestanding church, built 1731, comprising single-bay three-stage tower to west, bowed chancel to east, five-bay nave elevation to south, single-bay nave elevation to north, single-bay single-storey vestry addition to north. Pitched slate roof with cast-iron rainwater goods and cut stone eaves course. Crenellations to tower. Hipped slate roof to sacristy with rendered chimneystack. Rendered rubble limestone walls. Carved limestone plaque to vestry. Render string courses dividing stages to tower. Round-headed openings with paired lancet multiple-pane timber windows. Round-headed opening to chancel with stained glass window. Round-headed openings to second stage of tower with recessed surrounds, dressed limestone imposts and keystones and timber fittings. Circular opening to third stage of tower with timber fittings. Pointed arch opening to vestry with red brick surround, cut stone sill and fixed timber window with Y-tracery. Round-headed opening to west elevation of tower with timber battened double-leaf doors, spoked fanlight and dressed limestone surround. Square-headed opening to vestry with timber battened door. Retains interior features such as timber gallery and marble plaques. Graveyard to site. Cut limestone boundary walls with square-profile dressed limestone piers to entrance having wrought-iron double-leaf gate.
A rare and important early eighteenth century church, which retains its classical character, to both exterior and interior. The blocky tower, round-headed window openings and plain stone dressings are notable features which are not found in later Board of First Fruits style churches. The fine interior retains well executed features such as the timber panelling, plasterwork and wall monuments. The graveyard adds context while the fine entrance piers enhance the site.