Survey Data

Reg No

20825016


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social


Original Use

School


In Use As

Office


Date

1885 - 1890


Coordinates

196248, 73734


Date Recorded

09/07/2007


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached ten-bay single-storey former national school, dated 1889, now in use as enterprise centre. Pitched slate roof with brick chimneystacks, ridge crestings, render crow-stepped gable-ends and finials and cast-iron rainwater goods. Snecked dressed limestone walls with rusticated quoins to front (east) elevation, rendered walls to sides and rear (west). Carved limestone plaques to front. Square-headed openings with cut limestone sills and eight-over-twelve pane timber windows. Circular opening to gables with moulded render dentilated and roll moulded surrounds. Square-headed openings with rusticated block-and-start limestone surround and timber battened doors. Site bounded by spear-headed cast-iron railings mounted on coursed rubble wall with render copings. Square-profile piers with cast-iron double-leaf gates to entrance.

Appraisal

Fine example of Victorian craftsmanship with exposed stonework and interesting detail to gable-ends. Form is typical of Irish national schools of its time, single-storey with tall windows, placed high and with separate male and female entrances. The chimneystacks are unusual and add interest and variety of texture to the fa├žade. The plaques add context.