Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Social, Technical
In Use As
1950 - 1970
Freestanding water tower, built c. 1960, comprising circular-plan base, with four-stage shaft, supporting conical tank. Overhanging flat roof to base section. Concrete construction with panelling to underside of tank. Square-headed openings having metal casement windows. Replacement uPVC double leaf gates.
An elegant and landmark structure, which is visible from many parts of the town and surrounding countryside. It is notable not only for its engineering value, but also for its excellent design. The circular-plan service room base balances the towering cone, supported on its slender shaft.