Categories of Special Interest
Archaeological, Architectural, Artistic, Historical, Social
In Use As
1340 - 1360
Attached two-bay two-storey gable-fronted former Benedictine priory, built c. 1350, now in use as a restaurant. Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystacks. Painted rendered walls. Square-headed opening with render label moulding and replacement glazed window. Carved sandstone lancet opening with open work tracery and fixed glazed window. Pointed arch opening with carved sandstone surround having trefoil motifs to the spandrels, roll mouldings and timber battened door with strap hinges. Shopfront comprising square-headed display window, fluted pilasters and pointed arch timber battened door. Timber fascia with carved entablature.
Of the original fourteenth century Benedictine priory all that remains is this east gable with its Gothic doorway and carved spandrels. The piscina and aumbrey still survive intact. This building is a rare example of urban medieval architecture and provides important historical and social context to the town.