Categories of Special Interest
1855 - 1865
Detached nine-bay single-storey railway station, built c. 1860, having six-bay single-storey flanking wings. Formerly with central triple arcade to front (west) and having breakfront to rear. Now disused. Hipped slate roof with brick chimneystacks and ornate brick eaves course. Flemish bond brick walls with decorative brick eaves course and render plinth course. Rendered walls to rear. Round-headed window openings with render sills. Round-headed tripartite arches to centre bay. Round-headed door openings to wings. Remains of platforms with limestone copings.
This station is of apparent architectural quality and design. This façade is enlivened by the variety of brick dressings which add artistic interest to this functional structure. The station forms an integral part of other related railway structures including the signal box and platforms. The railway opened up the tourism potential of the town in the latter part of the nineteenth century, bringing day trippers and holiday makers in great numbers to the seaside. The villa style houses, located in the same part of the town, sprung up following the arrival of the railway and the establishment of Youghal as a fashionable resort.