Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1770 - 1790


210509, 77927

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Terraced two-bay three-storey house, built c. 1780, with late nineteenth century shopfront to ground floor. Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystack and moulded render eaves course. Painted rendered walls with render quoins and painted lettering. Square-headed openings with one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Tripartite timber shopfront comprising pilasters flanking openings, with consoles, glazed fascia with gold leaf lettering and canopy above. Square-headed fixed display window and recessed panelled and glazed door to shop. Timber panelled door leading to upper floors.


While the proportions and roof profile of this building are suggestive of a late eighteenth century date, it was obviously renovated in the late nineteenth century by the insertion of one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows and the attractive shopfront. The shopfront is typical of the traditional tripartite arrangement of nineteenth and early twentieth century shopfronts, which made provision for a separate access to the upper levels, to facilitate living over the shop.