Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1890 - 1910


210510, 77949

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached five-bay three-storey house and shop, built c. 1900, with shopfronts to ground floor, one now disused. Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystack with decorative render eaves course. Painted rendered walls having decorative render banding between first and second floors. Square-headed openings having one-over-one timber sliding sash windows. Shopfront comprising panelled pilasters flanking fixed display windows and recessed pair of double-leaf doors with overlight and geometric tiled threshold, having fascia, carved consoles, moulded entablature and canopy above. Timber panelled door with overlight providing access to upper floors. Recent replacement shopfront inserted to northern bays.


The long horizontal form of the building contrasts with the narrower facades in the streetscape. Though altered at ground floor level by the insertion of a recent shopfront, the surviving shopfront and upper floors retain much of their character and charm. The shopfront is particularly significant, as it forms a group with several surviving historic shopfront in the town, which are notable for their design, skill of execution and survival.