Survey Data

Reg No




Categories of Special Interest

Architectural, Artistic

Original Use


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


1770 - 1790


210484, 77887

Date Recorded


Date Updated



Attached four-bay three-storey house, built c. 1780, with late nineteenth century shopfront inserted to ground floor. Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystack. Painted rendered walls. Square-headed openings having one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Shopfront comprising pair of bipartite display windows having central mullions and colonettes with carved capitals and spandrals, flanking pair of recessed timber panelled double leaf doors with geometric tiled threshold. Timber panelled and glazed door with round-headed side light, giving access to upper floors. Full width name fascia with dentillated moulded entablature and canopy over ground floor openings.


An interesting eighteenth century house, whose date is apparent from its steep roof, substantial chimneystacks and proportions. Though altered at ground floor level by the insertion of a full width shopfront, this late nineteenth century intervention is of significant heritage value. Its design and quality of craftsmanship are excellent, and it contrast with the more recently inserted shopfronts which are common place throughout the town.