Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1890 - 1910
Terraced two-bay three-storey house and shop, built c. 1900, now disused to ground floor. Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystack. Painted rendered walls. Square-headed openings having replacement uPVC windows. Square-headed opening with overlight and half-glazed door. Shopfront comprising fluted and panelled pilasters with carved consoles, supporting fascias with dentillated moulded cornice above. Replacement timber glazed door and overlight leading to upper floors. Recessed pair of timber half glazed double leaf doors with geometric tiled threshold, flanked by display windows.
Set back from the street line and flanked by a smaller, similarly proportioned pair, this group makes an interesting composition. Though historic fabric has been lost on the upper floors, the ground floor retains a fine shopfront. Shopfronts such as this are becoming increasingly rare, and are often replaced by mass produced replicas. This shopfront is of a similar design and form to that of its neighbour, number 125, and was possibly executed by the same craftsman.