Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1790 - 1810
Terraced two-bay three-storey former house, built c. 1800, as part of ten-bay centrepiece forming south side of Pearse Square. Now in use as pub and having part replacement timber pubfront to ground floor of front elevation. Pitched roof with rendered chimneystack and moulded render eaves course. Painted rendered walls with moulded render string course dividing upper storeys of front elevation. Square-headed window openings with concrete sills and one-over-one pane timber sliding sash windows. Shopfront comprising fluted timber pilasters flanking openings, with limestone plinths, fluted caps, fascia and cornice. Square-headed timber display window, concrete sill and timber battened stall riser and surround. Square-headed door opening with timber panelled door and overlight.
This building, together with those to the east, occupies a prominent site, closing the vista from Fermoy Bridge and at the head of Pearse Square. It forms part of a symmetrical group of buildings comprising the former market house and flanking buildings, a very important feature in the town. The string course and eaves course emphasise the symmetry and regularity of the façade. It retains much of its form as well as notable features such as the timber sliding sash windows.