Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Social
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Corner-sited attached four-bay two-storey house, built c. 1820, now also in use as public house and having timber pubfront to ground floor of front elevation. Pitched artificial slate roof with rendered chimneystacks and cast-iron rainwater goods. Rendered walls with render quoins. Square-headed openings with replacement uPVC windows and concrete sills, one to ground floor now blind, and those to first floor having moulded render surrounds incorporating cornices and floral swags, and those to ground floor having moulded render surrounds with cornices. Pubfront comprising timber pilasters flanking openings, with timber fascia having painted lettering, and cornice above, and square-headed plate-glass display window with timber sill. Square-headed door opening with timber panelled double doors and overlight.
The size and scale of this building are characteristic of urban architecture of its era and the form and roofline are similar to the surrounding buildings, helping to make it a pleasing part of the streetscape. The timber shopfront and render dressings add artistic interest.