Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1900 - 1910
Attached one-bay three-storey former house, built c. 1905, now in use as shop and having projecting timber shopfront to ground floor, latter being one of a pair in neighbouring buildings. Pitched artificial slate roof with brick chimneystack, and cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted rendered walls with square-headed openings having replacement timber windows, those to second floor having concrete sills. Shopfront comprising carved timber fluted Ionic-style engaged columns flanking openings, one shared with neighbouring building to east, with timber architrave, fascia and bracketed cornice. Square-headed plate-glass display window with concrete sill and rendered stall riser. Square-headed door opening with replacement timber door, moulded timber surround and overlight.
Interest is added to the flush and regular façade of this building by the highly decorative shopfront. This latter incorporates elements of classical design, and the bracketed cornices and fluted columns are well carved and remain largely intact.