Categories of Special Interest
Street name plaque
1800 - 1820
Pair of two rectangular limestone plaques, c. 1810, set into gable walls of terraced houses to opposite sides of street, with tooled margins, raised oval cartouches with incised names 'Catherine Street' to north side and 'Barrack Street' to south side.
The retention of this set of street signs makes an interesting feature on Fermoy's streetscape. There is evidence of fine stone crafting in their design, which can also be seen in the incised lettering and roll moulded decoration. Their survival is important for also memorialising older street names.