Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1775 - 1785
Corner-sited end-of-terrace five-bay two-storey house, dated 1780, with two-storey extension to rear. Hipped and pitched artificial slate roof with rendered chimneystacks, terracotta chimney pots and some cast-iron rainwater goods. Painted rendered walls with render plinth and painted render quoins, one to north-west corner incorporating carved limestone date and name plaque. Square-headed window openings with render surrounds, replacement uPVC windows and painted limestone sills. Round-headed door opening with painted channelled limestone pilasters having plinths, moulded imposts and archivolt, with timber panelled door surmounted by spoked timber fanlight, and having limestone step.
This fine Georgian terrace was built in 1780 as part of the planned town by the Earl of Kingston for his retainers, and incorporates many typical neo-classical features of the period, such as symmetry and fanlights. This house has retained much of its original character and charm, in the limestone door surround and timber panelled door. The limestone street name plaque, with date, adds context and further significance.