Survey Data

Reg No

20806075


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

House


In Use As

House


Date

1810 - 1830


Coordinates

153575, 123283


Date Recorded

13/08/2006


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached four-bay house, built c. 1820, having single-storey front elevation, two-storey rear, and single-bay side elevations. Southernmost bay is an addition and is recessed slightly and has its own roof. Timber porch to front. Lower single-storey lean-to to north, and flat roof single-storey extension to rear. Hipped tiled roofs with overhanging eaves, cast-iron rainwater goods, and rendered chimneystacks with limestone caps. Roughcast rendered walls, with smooth rendered eaves and plinth courses to front and south elevations. Square-headed glazed timber casement windows with painted rendered sills. Dormer window to rear. Square-headed half-glazed timber panelled door with sidelights. Timber porch has dentiallated cornice and flight of rendered and limestone steps. Square-headed opening to recessed bay having half-glazed timber panelled double doors with sidelights, advanced by flight of rendered steps. Five-bay lofted single-storey outbuilding to rear with half-hipped slate roof and painted rendered walls, having square-headed replacement windows and timber battened doors.

Appraisal

This pleasant, modest house is distinguished by its timber porch and tiled hipped roofs. The tall chimneystacks help to counterbalance the squat horizontal appearance of the house. The accompanying outbuilding adds context to the site.