Survey Data

Reg No

20515077


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Technical


Original Use

Market building


In Use As

Market building


Date

1850 - 1870


Coordinates

167444, 71792


Date Recorded

09/06/1994


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced three-storey Byzantine-Revival style facade in polychromatic brickwork, c. 1860; one of the main entrances to the covered market complex designed by Sir John Benson. Pitched roof. Polychromatic brick facade, limestone plinth, elaborate detailing especially to eaves which has arched corbel-table, pedimented breakfront centre bay, limestone keystone to double height archway, limestone string courses. Double height central archway, cast-iron gates, round-headed windows, oculus and diocletian window to pediment, polychromatic brick arches, limestone central columns to twinned openings.

Appraisal

Highly distinctive building, one of several entrances to the English Market. Significant in its own right for its design and use of differing building materials to decorative effect, but also to the streetscape and general character of this part of the city.