Survey Data

Reg No

20515065


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Historical Technical


Original Use

Bridge


In Use As

Bridge


Date

1710 - 1720


Coordinates

167270, 71538


Date Recorded

30/11/1994


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Triple-span limestone arch bridge, built 1713 by Chatterton and Coltsman; down river extension built c. 1824 by Alexander Deane. Limestone ashlar buttresses and voussoirs to west side with rubble walls and limestone coping; limestone ashlar masonry to the east side with voussoirs, string course and coping.

Appraisal

Highly significant technically as one of the two oldest surviving three centred arches in Ireland, a widely adopted style when bridge spans increased to reduce road gradients. Also important to the river and urban landscape, and as a major thoroughfare for the city.