Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Social
In Use As
1920 - 1940
Four-storey school building, c. 1930, with arcaded ground floor and projecting gabled bay to east side; having slate pitched roof, flat roofs to extensions and gutter on limestone corbels, brick in Flemish bond with limestone dressings, and limestone ashlar to open arcade to ground floor with buttresses, limestone transoms and mullions to window openings with brick relieving arches, timber sliding sash windows and paired lancet windows with trefoil heads to projecting gabled bay, aluminium casement windows to extension; part of convent complex with enclosed area to front and red brick wall to street with stone coping and wrought iron railings.
This early twentieth-century school building retains importance for its intact façade and as part of the overall convent complex which is of particular local historical importance. The fact that it remains in its original use adds further to its significance.