Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1830
Terraced nine-bay four-storey neo-classical Exchange Building with five-bay breakfront, c. 1815; formerly commercial buildings, now in use as hotel. Roof not visible for inspection, rendered chimney stacks. Painted render finish, Ionic giant order pilasters to breakfront supporting entablature, rusticated ground floor and render quoins, square headed openings to first, second and third floors, with square and round headed openings to ground floor, canopied entrance porch, replacement uPVC windows throughout, c. 1990, and breakfront openings altered; street frontage, on corner site at junction with Pembroke Street.
The present main façade and entrance to the Imperial Hotel was originally in use as commercial buildings on South Mall. This section was combined with the original Pembroke street part of the hotel, attributed to Sir Thomas Deane, to form the present complex.