Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1830 - 1850
End-of-terrace four-bay four-storey house, c. 1840; extensively remodelled and refronted with additions to side and rear in 1860 by Sir John Benson for the City Club; now in use as offices. Slate hipped roof to main building and rear annexe, flat roof to side wing. Painted render finish with eaves cornice and console brackets. Square headed openings to upper floors with moulded surrounds and extended cills; second floor openings having pediments on consoles; first floor openings having a canopy on consoles. Ornate balustrades to first floor balcony. Ground floor projects with an arcaded arrangement to openings with replacement windows, which have pilasters and moulded surrounds. South wing has two storeys, having a first floor behind an ornate balustrade balcony, the ground floor having an similar arcaded arrangement to the adjacent block but with openings of different proportions. Side bays are flanked by Ionic columns.
Imposing and well maintained building on a prominent riverside site, having an decorative façade which has been extended by the addition of a south wing in a similar style.