Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1730 - 1750
Terraced two-bay four-storey gable-fronted house, c. 1740. Refurbished c. 2000. Barbers to ground floor, offices to upper floor. Steeply pitched slate roof. Large glazed opening to ground floor incorporating entrance door, with modern shop sign overhead. Separate side entrance to upper floors having square headed door opening with plain overlight. Replacement unpainted nine over nine timber sliding sash windows to upper floors. Unpainted timber fascia board. Unpainted cementitious render finish to the front façade, with limestone cladding to the ground floor. Snecked stonework with red brick quoins are apparent from the exposed side elevation.
This eighteenth-century building is characteristic in retaining its gable fronted roofline in area of the city where similar buildings have been altered to create a horizontal roofline. The style of its recent refurbishment, particularly the refenestration and the stone cladding, limits its contribution to the overall character of the streetscape.