Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1930 - 1940
Terraced single-bay two-storey former public house, built c. 1935, as part of adjoining cinema to the south in use as shop and post office. Flat roof with stepped rendered parapet. Rendered walls with moulded render architrave to first floor opening. Timber casement window to first floor. Carved timber shopfront, comprising of stepped fascia, with fixed windows, recessed door and canopy mechanism.
This building is an interesting example of twentieth-century architectural design in Ireland in the first part of the twentieth century. Built as a public house for the adjoining cinema to the south, this building is a positive addition to the streetscape. The shopfront, which retains it's canopy mechanism, is a notable feature of the building, and is interesting to note that the stepped parapet is repeated with the stepped fascia.