Survey Data

Reg No

20513125


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

House


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1790 - 1810


Coordinates

167336, 71841


Date Recorded

11/10/1995


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced four-bay five-storey former house, built c. 1800, now in use as retail outlet and offices. Altered to ground floor and shopfront inserted, c. 1975. Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystack and having rendered parapet with moulded eaves cornice. Rendered walls with raised reveals to window openings. Retaining some timber sash windows and also having replacement uPVC windows.

Appraisal

This former house makes a notable and positive addition to the streetscape due to the scale and form of the building. The imposing scale of this building and the adjoining building to the north forms a dominant pair on the east side of this wide street. Though now greatly altered to the ground floor, the upper levels retain interesting features and materials, such as the timber sash windows and moulded eaves cornice.