Survey Data

Reg No

20513118


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic


Original Use

Shop/retail outlet


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1870 - 1890


Coordinates

167356, 71845


Date Recorded

11/10/1995


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced two-bay four-storey commercial building, built c. 1880. Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystack and rendered parapet. Rendered walls with moulded render windows surrounds, string courses and eaves course. Timber shopfront set on a limestone plinth, c. 1880, comprising of fixed windows with colonette, and recessed glazed door, having fascia and cast-iron crestings above. Timber sash windows to upper floors.

Appraisal

This building makes a notable and positive addition to the streetscape, due to its scale and form. The regular façade is enlivened and articulated by the decorative render detail. The nineteenth-century carved timber shopfront is a particularly notable feature and was clearly executed by skilled craftsmen.