Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1850 - 1880
Terraced two-bay three-storey public house, built c. 1865, having cast-iron entrance canopy and timber shopfront, refurbished, c. 1993. Pitched roof and rendered walls. Openings blocked to upper floors. Timber shopfront comprising of fixed windows and timber panelled door, flanked by pilasters, with fascia above. Round-headed door opening with cast-iron gate, flanked by pilasters, having pediment above supported on elaborate consoles.
Set on a narrow laneway, leading to the Old English Market, this building is an interesting addition to the architectural heritage of the city. Though it is difficult to see in this confined location, the round-headed entrance is an immediately noticeable feature. The decorative detail of the consoles and gate were clearly executed by skilled craftsmen and add artistic interest to the building.