Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1920 - 1930
End-of-terrace seven-bay three-storey commercial building, built 1927, with central breakfront. Altered to ground floor and various shopfronts refitted. Mansard slate roof with dormer windows, rendered parapet, and stepped parapet with urns to breakfront. Rendered walls with string course between ground and first floors, moulded eaves course, and having double-height pilasters to upper floors. Pedimented windows to central bay, flanked by engaged Ionic columns, set in round-headed recessed blind arch. Decorative render panels between upper floor openings. Metal casement windows to upper floors.
This former department store is a notable addition to the streetscape. Though now altered to the ground floor, the upper levels of the building are of apparent architectural form and design. This building is representative of architectural design in Ireland in the first part of the twentieth century.It is articulated by the decorative detail, such as the double-height pilasters, string course and moulded eaves course.