Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1800 - 1830
End-of-terrace three-bay four-storey former house, built c. 1815, now in use as retail outlet. Hipped slate roof with rendered parapet. Rendered walls with ashlar limestone dressings to west end corner of ground floor. Moulded render eaves course, string courses, and decorative window surrounds added c. 1880. Remains of timber shopfront, c. 1880, comprising of fixed windows and glazed door, flanked by pilasters with fascia above. Replacement uPVC windows to upper floors.
The scale and form of this building make a notable and positive addition to the streetscape. The regular façade of the building is enlivened and enhanced by the decorative render detail, which was clearly executed by skilled craftsmen. The remains of the late nineteenth-century shopfront is an interesting feature of the building, and contrasts with the late twentieth-century shopfronts in the streetscape.