Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1920 - 1930
Corner-sited end-of-terrace seven-bay three-storey former department store, built 1927, with central breakfront. Now in use as retail outlet. Altered to ground floor and shopfront refitted, c. 1994. Flat roof with limestone parapet, with stepped inscribed parapet to breakfront. Ashlar limestone walls with string course between ground and first floors, moulded eaves course, and having double-height pilasters to upper floors. Decorative render panels between upper floor openings. Replacement casement windows to upper floors, and replacement fixed windows and glazed doors to ground floor.
This former Burton's department store is a notable addition to the streetscape. Though now altered to the ground floor, the upper levels are of apparent architectural form and design. This building is representative of architectural design in Ireland in the first part of the twentieth century. The building is articulated by the carved limestone details, such as the double-height pilasters, string course and moulded eaves course.