Categories of Special Interest
Architectural, Artistic, Historical
In Use As
1805 - 1815
Corner-sited end-of-terrace five-bay three-storey hotel, built 1810, now also in use as retail outlet to ground floor. Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystacks, rendered parapet, eaves course and dormer additions. Rendered walls with string course between first and second floors and having decorative render panels between window openings. Recessed square-headed openings with wrought-iron sill guards to upper floors. Timber sash windows to first floor, and uPVC windows to second floor. Ground floor altered, 2003.
The scale and form of this building make a notable and positive contribution to the streetscape. This prominently located hotel has played a significant role in the social and historic life of the city. Visitors include Charles Stewart Parnell, James Joyce, John Redmond, Michael Collins, Liam Cosgrave and Sir Winston Churchill. It was in this hotel that the newly founded Gaelic Athletic Association held it's second meeting in 1884. Though now greatly altered to the ground floor, the upper levels of the building retain interesting features and materials, such as the timber sash windows, wrought-iron sill guards and slate roof. Inventory of Cork City Interiors, (1986) notes a coffered and vaulted neo-Greek ceiling and open well staircase c.1840.