Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1905 - 1910
Terraced five-bay three-storey Art Nouveau-style commercial building, built 1909, with double-height recessed round-headed panels, having oriel windows to first floor. Flat roof with moulded eaves cornice and cast-iron rainwater goods. Red brick walls, with ashlar limestone plinth, plaque, render to recessed panels, continuous sill to second floor, and having mosaic between first and second floors. Round-headed and segmental-arched openings to ground floor, with round-headed and oval openings to first floor, and having square-headed openings to second floor. Replacement uPVC windows and timber panelled doors.
This Art Nouveau-style building is an interesting contributor to the architectural heritage of Cork city, as there are few in the city of that style, and it is a well designed and well executed example. It makes a notable and colourful addition to the streetscape with a variety of materials utilised in its construction, such as the grey limestone, red brick, painted render and decorative mosaic. These offices were built by the Cork Examiner, a newspaper founded by John Francis Maguire in 1841, and which had it's first offices on St. Patrick's Street.