Survey Data

Reg No

20512827


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Historical Social


Original Use

Church hall/parish hall


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1870 - 1890


Coordinates

167446, 71953


Date Recorded

10/10/1995


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced seven-bay two-storey former Methodist church, built c. 1880, with off centre break front. Pitched slate roof with terracotta ridge crestings, red brick chimneystack, moulded brick eaves course with limestone corbels and having segmental-pediment over breakfront. Red brick walls with red brick buttresses between openings, and having ashlar limestone string courses and dressings to openings. Round-headed openings with replacement uPVC windows to upper floors, and forming arcade with recessed display windows and glazed doors to ground floor.

Appraisal

This former Methodist hall makes a notable and positive contribution to the streetscape, due to the scale and form of the building. The materials utilised in the construction of the building, such as the red brick and grey limestone, add colour and textural interest to the street. This former place of worship is of apparent architectural form and design and is representative of design theory and construction in the latter part of the nineteenth century in Ireland. Methodist Central Hall - 1878, foundation laid by F.H. Thompson, opened 1889. 1924 upper floor damaged by fire. Vacated by Methodists in 1984.