Survey Data

Reg No

20512817


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

Office


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1830 - 1850


Coordinates

167488, 71866


Date Recorded

11/10/1995


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Two-bay four-storey commercial building, built c. 1840, as a group with the two flanking buildings to the east and west. Now in use as retail outlet. Shopfront inserted to ground floor, c. 1935. Pitched slate roof with rendered parapet. Rendered walls with render bands, and having shared render pilaster with adjoining buildings. Timber sash windows to upper floors, with incised render surrounds to first and second floors, and having cornices over first floor windows.

Appraisal

This building was built as part of a group with the flanking two buildings to the east and west. This group of three was designed as a single piece in the urban landscape, and is articulated by the render pilasters flanking the central block, and by the render bands. Though many interesting features and materials have been replaced, the scale and form of this group make a notable and positive addition to the streetscape.