Survey Data

Reg No

20512809


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social


Original Use

Cinema


In Use As

Shop/retail outlet


Date

1920 - 1925


Coordinates

167434, 71867


Date Recorded

09/10/1995


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced four-bay two-storey former cinema, built 1921, now in use as retail outlet. Balustraded parapet with segmental-pediment. Ceramic tile cladding to walls with Ionic columns, pilasters, archivolts, imposts, keystones and entablature. Venetian windows to first floor with wrought-iron balconies and timber fixed windows. Fixed windows, glazed doors and name fascia, c. 1990, to ground floor.

Appraisal

This former cinema is an interesting example of early twentieth-century architectural design in Ireland, and makes a positive addition to the streetscape. The unusual material which clads the walls and the decorative details enhance the fa├žade of this notable building. The neo-Classical features, such as the Venetian windows, Ionic columns and balustraded parapet, are enlivened by early twentieth-century features, such as the wrought-iron balconies and off centre segmental pediment with stepped surround.