Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1870 - 1880
Terraced gable-fronted five-bay three-storey commercial building with attic, built c. 1875, now in use as retail outlet. Altered to ground floor and full-width shopfront inserted, c. 1990. Pitched slate roof with decorative render parapet having urns, and with pediment and architraves to attic storey openings. Rendered wall with decorative render pilasters, string courses, cornices, imposts, archivolts and keystones. Round-headed openings to first and second floors, and segmental-arched openings to attic, with timber sash windows.
This building makes a notable and positive addition to the streetscape due to the scale and form of the building. Though now greatly altered to the ground floor, the upper levels of the building remain of architectural heritage significance. Of apparent architectural design, the façade of this building is enlivened by the elaborate decorative render which articulates the form of the building and was clearly executed by skilled craftsmen.