Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1850 - 1870
Terraced three-bay four-storey bank, built c. 1860, with two-storey full-width projecting bow to street elevation. Pitched roof with rendered parapet having decorative render cornice, segmental pediment, string course and plaque. Rendered walls having render quoins, string courses and moulded render surrounds to openings. Ashlar limestone to ground floor, c. 1935, with engaged Ionic columns, entablature, segmental pediment with carved tympanum and engaged pilasters. Segmental-arched and square-headed windows to upper floors with timber sash windows. Fixed timber windows and pair of timber panelled doors with toplight to ground floor.
The purpose-built bank makes a positive addition to the streetscape, due to the scale and form of the building. Notable architectural features of the building include the projecting bow, segmental-arched windows and pedimented parapet. The decorative render detail articulates and enhances the façade, and was clearly executed by skilled craftsmen. The building retains many interesting features and materials, such as the timber sash windows and carved limestone details.