Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1870 - 1890
Corner-sited seven-bay four-storey former retail outlet, built c. 1880, now in use as restaurant. Curved and pitched slate roofs with rendered parapet and decorative eaves cornice. Channelled render walls to ground floor, with plaque, lettering, consoles and decorative cornice. Rendered walls to upper floors having render quoins, string courses, platbands, and lettering. Timber sash windows to upper floors, with moulded render architraves. Timber fixed windows to ground floors, set in moulded render surrounds and having flanking pilasters.
Designed by W. H. Hill, this late nineteenth-century building is of apparent architectural design. The curved façade and scale of this building make it a notable and positive addition to the streetscape. The façade of the building is articulated and enlivened by the decorative render detail, which was clearly executed by skilled craftsmen. The building retains many interesting features and materials, such as the timber sash windows and the inset clock.