Categories of Special Interest
Architectural Historical Social
In Use As
1840 - 1850
Terraced five-bay two-storey former Methodist church, built c. 1845, with projecting end bays. Now in use as retail outlets. Rendered walls with double-height pilasters flanking central bays, and having rendered parapet and moulded cornice. Timber sash windows to first floor, set in rounded-openings with moulded render archivolts and imposts, and flanked by square-headed openings. Replacement fixed windows and glazed doors to ground floor.
This former church makes a notable and positive contribution to the streetscape, due to the scale and form of the building. It is an interesting addition to this formerly primarily industrial area. Built on the site of a Huguenot Church, it may retain some eighteenth-century fabric. Though now altered to the ground floor, this building is of apparent architectural form and design, and is enhanced by the retention of many interesting features and materials, such as the timber sash windows and render detail.