Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1840 - 1860
Terraced two-bay three-storey former house, built c. 1850, now in use as public house. Pitched tile roof with rendered chimneystack. Rendered walls with raised render surrounds to upper floors openings. Carved timber shopfront, c. 1910, comprising of consoles with fascia and cornice, over single and pair of timber panelled doors with toplights, and timber fixed window. Replacement uPVC windows to upper floors.
This former house makes a positive addition to the streetscape, due to the scale and form of the building. This building and the adjoining houses to the east are an interesting group as these former houses are reminders of the residential character which was once associated with the quay, following the expansion of the city when the industry moved further east along the harbour. The early twentieth-century shopfront, which retains fine carved details, is a notable feature of this building, and was clearly executed by skilled craftsmen.