Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
Garda station/constabulary barracks
1820 - 1840
Terraced three-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1830, as a pair with the adjoining former house to the west. Now in use as Garda Station. Pitched tile roof with rendered chimneystack and red brick parapet. Red brick walls to upper floors with rendered walls to basement, and having string course between basement and ground floors. Square-headed window openings with replacement uPVC windows and stone sills. Round-headed door opening, having replacement door and fanlight. Flight of limestone steps leading to entrance door, with cast-iron railings set on limestone plinths.
Built as a pair with the adjoining former house to the west, this pair contributes to the streetscape, due to the scale and form of the buildings. Though many interesting features and materials have been replaced this building remains part of an imposing pair and retains much of it's original form. The building is enhanced by the retention of the limestone steps and cast-iron railings.