Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1910 - 1930
Terraced three-bay four-storey former hotel, built c. 1920, with projecting central oriel bay to second and third floors. Now in use as public house, and with dormer addition. Mansard tile roof with rendered parapet, rendered chimneystacks and flat-roofed dormers. Roughcast rendered walls with raised render surrounds to upper floor openings, and having decorative render panels between windows. Replacement uPVC windows to upper floors with some cast-iron balconies. Carved timber surrounds to ground floor window and door openings, with metal roller doors.
This former hotel is a positive and notable addition to the streetscape, due to the scale and form of the building. The building is of apparent architectural form and design, and the façade is enlivened by the double-height oriel windows, cast-iron balconies and decorative render panels. The render detail to the upper floors and the carved timber window surrounds to the ground floor were clearly executed by skilled craftsmen and add artistic interest to the façade.