Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1850 - 1870
Terraced three-bay four-storey over basement former house, built c. 1860, as a pair with the adjoining house to the west. Now in use as offices. Pitched slate roof with red brick chimneystack and red brick parapet having limestone moulded copings. Red brick walls with limestone continuous sills, limestone continuous hood mouldings over openings, and alternating limestone and brick voussoirs to window arches. Segmental-arched windows openings with timber sash windows. Pointed arched door opening with limestone dressings, replacement timber half glazed door flanked by sidelights, and having toplight with carved timber tracery above. Flight of limestone steps leading to entrance door. Cast-iron railings set on limestone plinths enclose basement area.
Built as a pair with the adjoining building to the west, this pair of former houses is an imposing addition to the streetscape, due to their scale and form. Architectural design and detail are apparent in the articulation of the façade, which is enlivened and enhanced by the segmental-arched window openings, pointed arched door opening, and string courses. The building retains many interesting features and materials, such as the contrasting red brick and carved limestone, cast-iron railings, and fine doorcase.