Survey Data

Reg No

20512556


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural


Original Use

House


In Use As

School


Date

1810 - 1830


Coordinates

167840, 72279


Date Recorded

26/09/1995


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Terraced three-bay three-storey former house over basement, built c. 1820, now in use school. Pitched slate roof with moulded rendered parapet and rendered chimneystack. Rendered walls with string course between basement and first floor. Timber sash windows. Round-head door openings with moulded render surround, timber panelled door and fanlight. Limestone steps leading to entrance door. Wrought-iron railings on limestone plinths to basement area.

Appraisal

This former house forms part of a significant group of buildings, built in the early nineteenth century, on both sides of St. Patrick's Hill, the north side of St. Patrick's Place and part of Sidney Place. They are interesting examples of late Georgian architecture in Cork city. The scale and form of this former house make it a positive addition to the streetscape. It retains many interesting features and materials, such as the slate roof and limestone steps.