Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced three-bay three-storey former house over basement, built c. 1820, with dormer additions. Now in use as school. Pitched slate roof with moulded rendered parapet, rendered chimneystack and dormer additions. Rendered walls with string course between basement and first floor, and having platbands at sill levels of second and third floors. Timber sash windows. Round-head door openings retaining carved Ionic doorcase, timber panelled door and fanlight. Flight of limestone steps leading to entrance door. Cast-iron railings set on limestone plinths enclosing basement area.
This former house forms part of a significant group of buildings, built in the early nineteenth century, on both sides of St. Patrick's Hill, the north side of St. Patrick's Place and part of Sidney Place. They are interesting examples of late Georgian architecture in Cork city. The scale and form of this former house make it a positive addition to the streetscape. The carved Ionic doorcase and original door are particularly notable features.