Categories of Special Interest
1810 - 1830
Terraced four-bay three-storey former house over basement, built c. 1820, with integral carriage arch and dormer addition. Now vacant. Pitched slate roof having moulded render parapet, rendered chimneystack and flat-roofed dormer. Rendered walls with pair of timber matchboard doors to carriage arch. Square-headed window openings with timber sash windows to upper floors and having blocked openings to the ground floor. Round-headed door opening, now blocked. Flight of limestone steps leading to door, with cast-iron railings set on limestone plinths to basement area.
This former house forms part of a significant group of buildings, built in the early nineteenth century, on both sides of St. Patrick's Hill, the north side of St. Patrick's Place, and part of Sidney Place. They are interesting examples of late Georgian architecture in Cork city. The scale and form of this former house make it a positive addition to the streetscape. It retains many interesting features and materials, such as the limestone steps, moulded render parapet, and timber sash windows.