Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced three-bay four-storey former house over basement, built c. 1820, as a pair with the adjoining house to the east. Now in use as offices. Pitched slate roof with rendered chimneystack and moulded rendered parapet. Rendered walls with render platband at sill level first floor. Segmental-arched openings, with timber sash windows. Segmental-arched door opening with moulded render surround and replacement timber panelled door having sidelights and fanlight. Limestone bridge over basement area and cast-iron railings set on limestone plinths enclosing basement area.
This former house forms part of a significant group of buildings, built in the early nineteenth century, on both sides of St. Patrick's Hill, the north side of St. Patrick's Place, and part of Sidney Place. They are interesting examples of late Georgian architecture in Cork city. The scale and form of this former house make it a positive addition to the streetscape. It retains many interesting features and materials, such as the timber sash windows, moulded render door surround, limestone threshold and cast-iron railings.