Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced five-bay three-storey former house over raised basement, built c. 1820, now in use as language school. Pitched slate roof with red brick chimneystacks. Rendered walls with render platbands at sill levels. Replacement uPVC windows with replacement render surrounds to window openings. Round-headed door opening with timber panelled door, side lights and fanlight. Limestone steps leading to door, flanking by replacement cast-iron railings set on limestone plinths. Retaining some interior features.
This former house forms part of a significant group of buildings, built in the early nineteenth century, on both sides of St. Patrick's Hill, the north side of St. Patrick's Place, and part of Sidney Place. These former houses are interesting examples of late Georgian architecture in Cork city. The scale and form of this former house make it a positive addition to the streetscape. Though many interesting features and materials have been removed, this building retains some interior features, fine limestone steps, and a late nineteenth-century door and door case.