Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Terraced four-bay three-storey former house over raised basement, built c. 1820, with dormer addition. Now in use as flats. Pitched slate roof with red brick chimneystacks and flat-roofed dormer. Rendered walls, with platbands at sill levels, and moulded eaves course having consoles. Segmental-arched window openings with replacement uPVC windows. Round-headed door opening with moulded render surround, and timber panelled door having fanlight above. Limestone steps leading to door, flanked by cast-iron railings set on limestone plinths.
This former house forms part of a significant group of buildings, built in the early nineteenth century, on both sides of St. Patrick's Hill, the north side of St. Patrick's Place, and part of Sidney Place. These former houses are interesting examples of late Georgian architecture in Cork city. The scale and form of this former house make it a positive addition to the streetscape. The building retains many interesting features and materials, such as the moulded render door surround, limestone steps, cast-iron railings, and decorative eaves course.