Categories of Special Interest
In Use As
1810 - 1830
Corner-sited end-of-terrace five-bay three-storey former house over basement, built c. 1820, now in use as surgery. Hipped tile roof with rendered parapet and chimneystack. Rendered walls with render platbands at sill levels and having string course between basement and first floor. Segmental-arched openings with timber sash windows and stone sills. Round-headed door opening with timber panelled door, flanked by sidelights and having fanlight above. Carved limestone Doric portico approached by a pair of limestone steps. Cast-iron railings set on limestone plinths to west elevation.
This former house forms part of a significant group of buildings, built in the early nineteenth century, on both sides of St. Patrick's Hill, the north side of St. Patrick's Place, and part of Sidney Place. These former houses are interesting examples of late Georgian architecture in Cork city. The scale and form of this former house make it a positive addition to the streetscape. The building retains many interesting features and materials, such as the Doric portico, limestone steps, timber sash windows, timber door case and timber panelled door.