Categories of Special Interest
1870 - 1890
Detached six-bay three-storey former school over basement, built c. 1880, now vacant. Pitched slate roof with red brick chimneystacks and rendered chimneystacks. Red brick English garden bond walls with yellow brick bands and having limestone string course at sill levels of ground floor and first floor. Segmental-arched openings with yellow brick dressings, limestone sills and timber sash windows. Timber panelled door with toplight and sidelights, approached by limestone bridge over basement area. Cast-iron railings set on limestone plinths enclose basement area, with cast-iron gates.
The scale and form of this former school make it a notable and positive addition to the streetscape. The variety of materials utilised in it's construction, such as the red brick, yellow brick and limestone, make it a colourful addition to the streetscape. The building retains many original features and materials, such the timber sash windows, cast-iron railings, limestone plinths and limestone threshold. This red brick building forms part of an interesting group of late nineteenth-century former school buildings, with the red brick former school buildings to the east and west.