Survey Data

Reg No

20512511


Rating

Regional


Categories of Special Interest

Architectural Artistic Social


Original Use

School


In Use As

Office


Date

1880 - 1900


Coordinates

167865, 72236


Date Recorded

27/09/1995


Date Updated

--/--/--


Description

Detached five-bay single-storey over basement former school, built c. 1890, with recessed bay to the east. Now in use as offices. Hipped tile roof with terracotta ridge crestings and finials. Red brick Flemish bond walls with decorative terracotta eaves course, dressings to openings, and decorative imposts. Round-headed window openings with limestone sills and timber casement windows. Round-headed door opening with pair of timber panelled doors, having fanlight above. Square-headed openings with replacement windows to ground floor. Cast-iron railings set on limestone plinths and cast-iron gates to basement area. Limestone steps leading to basement and to front door.

Appraisal

This former school is a notable addition to the streetscape, due to the architectural form of the building, and due to the variety of materials utilised in it's construction. The red brick walls contrast with the pale terracotta dressings, limestone sills, and painted timber. The building is enhanced the retention of the cast-iron railings, gates and limestone steps. This red brick building forms part of an interesting group of late nineteenth-century former school buildings, with the red brick former school buildings to the west.